Monday, March 10, 2014

# 33 10th letter to Ms Sam Mostyn, President, ACFID, dated 9th March 2014


Ms Sam Mostyn
President
Australian Council for International Development              

9th  March 2014

Dear Ms Mostyn

I do not wish, at this point, to deal with the contents of the letter written by Chris Adams on 7th March 2014 and signed by Marc Purcell, other than to make the comment that it was quite inappropriate for Marc to talk with (or attempt to talk with) ‘Geoff’ before sending me the letter written by Chris.

After my two hours spent with Judge Phou Pov Sun on Friday I would just like to place on record the following facts:

The complaint made against me by Citipointe church is dated 30th Oct 2012. 17 months ago. A decision by the court to deliver the warrant to me was made on 26th Feb 2014. Geoff Armstrong made reference to this warrant in quite specific ways two days beforehand – on 24th Feb. This could easily be explained by Geoff’s having a copy of the unexecuted warrant in a Global Development Group file. That the warrant was only issued two days after Geoff’s return to Australia could well be a coincidence, of course. It may well be that it was Citipointe church, in pursuit of its desire to have me arrested etc was able to arrange for the warrant, siting on Judge Phou Pov Sun’s desk for 17 months, executed.

I sat with Judge Phou Pov Sun as we looked at the evidence provided by Citipointe church to the court in support of the proposition that I had ‘profited’ from prostitution. It was my film, SLEEPING WITH CAMBODIA, broadcast around the world in 1996 and 1997. The documentary’s themes include prostitution, homelessness, street kids and Non Government Organizations. The proposition presented to the Judge was that I had ‘profited’ from selling the film and so was making money out of prostitution. A long conversation ensued between myself and Judge Phou about the difference between making a film about a subject and selling the film and profiting from the subject of the film – in this case prostitution. It took some time for Judge Phou Pov Sun to grasp this concept but I managed eventually.

It is not my intention here to give a blow by blow account of my conversation with the Judge but one further example should suffice to give you some idea (lest your knowledge of the subject is limited) of how Cambodian justice is administrated. As you will see below, Nicole Roberts, asserts that I had told the oldest of Chanti’s daughters, Rosa, to a foreign country. Judge Phou Pov Sun asked me if this was so. I replied ‘no’. He then asked me if I had any documents to prove that I had not intended to take Rosa to a foreign country. I then had to give Judge Phou Pov Sun a lesson (though I am no lawyer) in the requirement of the court to prove my guilt; not the other way around. Judge Phou Pov Sun eventually nodded his agreement.

Upon looking through Judge Phou Pov Sun’s rather thick file I was as surprised to find what was NOT included in it as I was, what WAS! I will deal with only one document here. It is the original complaint made on 30th Oct 2012. I have not corrected the spelling errors. The indented sections, in bold italics, are my own responses to Nicole Roberts’ assertions.

“I am Nicole Roberts, the representative of Citipointe International and AID (CICA) located at #191 street 10BT, Sansamskol Village, Sangkat Boeung Tum Pun, Khan Meanchey, Phnom Penh, represented by Mr Kong Rady, Attorney at Law (address and telephone numbers)

Subject suing Mr James Ricketson, born on 01-04-1949, holding Passport number…of disclosing information of the vulnerable girls and hindering the act of prevention, assistance or re-education for the children not to be victims of human trafficking, committed in Phnom Penh.”

Rosa and Chita are not victims of human trafficking. They are the daughters of poor parents who were offered short-term help by Citipointe church. The evidence for this is to be found in the document dated 31st July 2008 that Citipointe tricked Chanti into signing. This document, whilst not legally binding in any way, makes it clear that it was poverty only that led Rosa and Chita’s mother and grandmother to agree to the help offered to them by Citipointe church.

What evidence does Citipointe offer to the court in  support of the notion that Rosa and Chita were victims of  human trafficking?

“I would like to inform the director that James Ricketson has tried to get two girls who are vulnerable child victim of human trafficking whose mother was also a child victim of sexual trafficking, out of the NGO’s shelter in order for him to continue making a film called CHANTI’S WORLD for his personal benefit.”

Rosa and Chita’s mother, Yem Chanthy, was never a victim of sexual trafficking.

What evidence does Citipointe offer to the court in  support of the notion that Yem Chanthy was a victim of  sexual trafficking?

CHANTI’S WORLD is a documentary record of my experiences in Cambodia since 1996. Documentary filmmaking is my profession. Chanti and her mother have been the subjects of my documentary since 1995. Her children, as they were born, joined the ‘cast’ of the documentary.

I have made no personal benefit and even good sales of the finished film will not cover the costs I have incurred this past 19 years.

“The film also intends to discover the identity of the ex-victim and vulnerable child victims of human trafficking which have already been identified on the website.”

I don’t know what this statement means.

“Recently we were informed by the girl named Chanthy Rosa, who has stayed in the centre, that James came to see her and he informed her that he has intended to take her to a foreign country but he has not communicated with us about this at all.”

I have never once visited Chanthy Rosa or her sister Chita in the ‘SHE Rescue Home’. If Citipointe church maintains that I did visit, on what date did I visit?

I have never said that I intended to take Chanthy Rosa to a foreign country. Chanthy Rosa and her sister Chita belong in Cambodia with their mother, their father, their brothers and sisters, their uncles and aunts, their village and their community. Cambodia is their home, Buddhism is their religion.

Nicole Roberts is lying.

“Therefore we have serious concerned about her safety.  Mr James is trying all his means to convince the girls’ family to remove the girls from the centre so that he is able to take advantage from the girls.

Now he is paying renal fees for the girls family to stay in Samaky Village, Sangkat Russy Keo.”

I am not attempting to get Yem Chanthy and Both Chhork to remove the girls from the centre. I am supporting the parents, as their advocate, in their wish to have their daughters re-united with the family. I have been doing so for five years, since Nov 2008 when I discovered, upon having it translated, that the 31st July 2008 ‘contract’ is fraudulent.

What evidence does Citipointe church have that I intend to take advantage of the girls?

“What James has done are hindering the act of prevention, assistance or re-education for the children not to be victims of human trafficking by disclosing information and identity of the vulnerable girls from the centre for his own benefit. “

I repeat, Rosa and Chita are not victims of human trafficking. It is up to Citipointe church to provide evidence that the girls were ever victims. The day before they were recruited by Citipointe (filmed by myself) they lived in a small room just a few streets back from the river. Chanti’s mother, Vanna, was supporting the family selling vegetables in the markets.

“It is the criminal offences punishable to Law of Suppression of Human Trafficking articles 25 and 49.”

(1) It is on the basis of the 31st July 2008 ‘contract’ that Citipointe held Rosa and Chita until Nov 2008.

(2) From 11th August 2008 until around 15 months later when Citipointe entered into an agreement of some kind with the Cambodian Ministry of Social Affairs, there was no memorandum of understanding between Citipointe and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that give the church the right to detain Rosa and Chita against their parents’ wishes. The Global Development Group, in possession of a copy of the MOU since it formalized its relationship with Citipointe, knows that Citipointe had no legal right. GDG is, through either incompetence or design, complicit in the illegal detention of Rosa and Chita.

As of 9th Feb 2014 the state of play is:

(a) Citipointe refuses to provide Chanti and Chhork with a copy of the pre-July 2008 MOU.

(b) The Global Development Group refuses to provide Chanti and Chhork with a copy of the pre-July 2008 MOU.

(c) The Australian Council for International Development refuses to confirm or deny that it would demand a copy of this MOU in the event of an investigation being initiated by Chanti and Chhork. An investigation that did not look at the legality of Citipointe church’s removal be a farce. ACFID’s attitude, revealed through its refusal to answer the question, is clearly that Chanti and Chhork are not entitled to be provided with a copy of the MOU and any other documents relating to the continued custody of their girls by Citipointe.

ACFID has nailed it colours to the mast and is now, morally at least, complicit in the illegal removal of Rosa and Chita from their parents.

Please Ms Mostyn, could you respond with a letter signed by yourself and not one written by a spin doctor and bearing Marc Purcell’s signiature?

best wishes

James Ricketson

No comments:

Post a Comment